Don’t Look and I’ll Hatch

Don’t Look and I’ll Hatch

My chicks and I don’t seem to be on the same page. I wanted to see them hatch and it seemed that they didn’t want me to.

I locked down the incubator on Thursday, October 1st, the 18th day of incubation. There were two eggs in the incubator. I was concerned about one of them because it seemed weaker than the other when I candled them just before lockdown.

On Friday morning, the first thing I did was check the eggs to see if either one had pipped. I didn’t see anything. I spent the first three hours that I was up checking them all the time. Everything that I did was interrupted by a quick look through the plastic top of the incubator.

At 9:45 am, I decided that I would have some breakfast and sit down for a couple of minutes. After eating, I checked the incubator and sure enough the shell had cracked on one of the eggs. I missed the external pip as it was happening.

I had wanted to see the first pip but since I had missed that I went back to checking constantly. At about 2pm, I was hungry again and made myself some lunch. Right after I finished lunch, I noticed a slightly larger hole had been made in the egg.

I was sure that through my dinner it may completely hatch given that the chick seems to like to work its hardest while I eat. After dinner, the egg looked the same. While I would have loved to have seen the chick hatched, I was happy that I didn’t miss it.

Chicks tend to hatch about 24 hours after the first pip and I wanted to be sure to see the actual hatch. I planned to stay up all night to watch but about 3am I was exhausted and the egg hadn’t changed at all since 2pm. I set my phone alarm to go off at 4am. I didn’t hear it and woke up at 6am. I made a mad dash from the couch to the incubator to take a look.

The chick had hatched and was just lying there. My heart sunk, it wasn’t moving at all. I lightly tapped the incubator and the little chick sprung quickly to its feet, walked around briefly as if it were drunk, then flopped down and fell asleep. I was thrilled the little chick was ok even if it made it clear that it would only hatch when I wasn’t looking.

It hadn’t occurred to me that a newborn chick had to learn to walk. Throughout the day on Saturday, the little chick found her legs and began to sleep less and walk around more. Her balance began to get better and I stopped worrying that she would get stuck on her back when she fell over.

The other egg in the incubator hasn’t pipped yet. Today is day 20 so there is still time. I heard that playing chick sounds can encourage the chick to be more active. I have chick sounds playing on the tv. Maybe I will see a pip later today.

I was advised that I could candle to check on the egg but I feel that the risk of losing humidity in the incubator to do so isn’t worth it. I’ll post an update on that in a few days.

I’ve spent most of the day watching the newly hatched chick and being completely amazed by the little life that came out of such a small egg. It’s amazing and I’m already madly in love with her or him.

Serama chick a few hours after hatching, checking out the other egg in the incubator
Serama chick napping on a Govee hydrometer/thermometer, about 8 hours after hatching

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *